Saturday, September 3, 2011

New 5 cent TAX for every plastic bag you leave the store with

Although places like Ireland, China and several cities through out the United States have implied this tax already. It may become a national tax for the United States. The tax will be 5 cents for every bag you leave the supermarket with. This will not include any bags that you bring in to reuse. Although 5 cents may not seem like a lot at first think about how many bags you use a month going grocery shopping. Every 20 bags will cost you $1. and if the store has to double that bag of juice it will cost you 10 cents for the 2 bags. The best way to beat this tax would be to bring in your own bags. Assuming they don't decided to just ban plastic bags you could pay the tax once and keep reusing that same bag or spend as little as $1 for a cloth reusable bag. My favorite ones are the plastic tightly woven ones that I got from Price Chopper. I don't quite remember there cost $1-$2 each but they have lasted me years and are waterproof and washable. Also reusable bags usually hold more then the plastic bags. So you figure you can fit 6 containers of juice into a reusable bag(the thicker sturdy ones) you would reduce your bag use by 6. (most baggers will put 2 in a bag and double) so that $2 bag will pay for its self in as little as 3-4 uses.

I personally like this idea. of course I may be bagging my groceries out in the car, because I am always leaving my reusable bag there, but then I wont have to deal with recycling all of the plastic bags I end up with. And when they only put 2-3 items in a bag I end up with a lot. So what are your opinion on this new tax (which will most likely go into effect)

No comments:

Post a Comment